[NA-Discuss] More evidence of the decline of "memorable" domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 28 19:51:09 UTC 2021

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 12:17, Nat Cohen <ncohen at telepathy.com> wrote:

> OWG is a new Canadian airline.  Its first commercial flight was last month
> from your city of Toronto-
>

> https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/canadas-owg-launches-with-initial-flight-to-cuba/141682.article

We must be looking at different photos. In the one I see, the domain is in
tiny print, and "OWG" dominates the livery.
(A search  for "OWG" easily finds the airline without needing the dot-com
domain, so it was a frill rather than a necessity)

> OWG.com branding is prominent on the fuselage.

"OWG" (without the domain) sure is prominent, it's all that is needed to
find the airline.

"owg.com" is in really small print  by comparison.

  Who sold them the domain name?  I did.

Good job; congratulations on selling them something they didn't need. I'm
sure that their investors are impressed.

As another example, Easyjet.

Old livery:

[image: easyjet-old.jpeg]
New livery:

[image: easyjey-new.jpeg]
They've come to realize from experience that the domain name is
unimportant. Others will come along too.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56