[NA-Discuss] [ALAC] Under COVID pressure, info providers choose QR codes over domain names

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Sep 7 17:44:55 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 08:39, Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>
wrote:

> Lets figure out how to fund it

Maybe, just for one year, we can put aside CROPP and other project requests
and just say to ICANN  that we'd like to use our resources to actually
survey -- INDEPENDENTLY -- Internet end users?
Isn't that the best possible -- and most mission-relevant -- outreach we
can do? Just think of how much money they're saving on ALAC travel this
year. Let's put that to use.

I don't even care if ICANN insists on sourcing the polling contractor to
get the best deal. But we get to pick the questions and audience, and we
get first and full access to the results.

Other than that, maybe a joint venture with ISOC or a foundation come to
mind, But the latter won't be easy. Any outside org will see ICANN swimming
in money and wonder (with justification) why one of its bylaw-defined
constituent bodies needs to be resourced from the outside.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56