[NA-Discuss] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Mozilla public consultation on DNS over HTTPS

Jothan Frakes jothan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:26:50 UTC 2020

I appreciate your raising awareness of this comment period.

One concern that exists for DoH / DoT (or even DoQ) usage, is with respect
to providers - that one trusts the provider on what they might be
intervening with.  Typically, this is about what they are blocking and
why.  I suspect the focus is rather significant things being BLOCKED, but
how much attention is there on the things that they might ADD?   What is to
prevent a DoH provider from injecting their own TLDs or alternative roots
at the top level outside of the MSM processes and/or circumnavigating the
i* vetting processes like were used for .onion or other special use TLDs?

As many of the DoH providers are private and/or proprietary, something akin
to the commitment Mozilla adheres to for the Public Suffix List, where
things that are not compliant with the ICP-3 Document [
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/unique-authoritative-root-2012-02-25-en]
or have been vetted through IETF/IAB et al I* are excluded.  This helps
with continuity with respect to the root and TLDs that the resolution
process will (or won't) support.

If DoH providers pledge to only resolve the items in the ICP-3 root or
those strings carefully vetted via I* processes, and furthermore pledges to
mute or block any traffic from strings that are non-compliant being sent
out to the root nameservers, this would aid in a better measurement of Name
Collision data, and perform the valuable function of controlled
interruption in advance of the coveted next round, while playing a valuable
service in improving what outcomes we might see from things like Name
Collision noise measurement at the root.

 -Jothan

Jothan Frakes