[NA-Discuss] Fwd: [CPWG] Your Valuable Input Requested - At-Large GeoNames Survey

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Feb 27 19:33:46 UTC 2020

I don't think I've heard the term "libertarian" used  to describe my views
on anything.

I wouldn't confuse my indifference with an explicit stand against
regulation or gaining consensus. In my perfect world. popular geo names
might be run by foundations that can accommodate the needs of any present
or future use of the name. So flipping my previous example, I am against
giving .cordoba to the richest or fastest applicant, to the detriment of
other locations with the same name.  But that's part of a deeper problem I
have with ICANN's re-invention of the way that words can be privately owned.

Compare the way domain names are allocated to the way trademarks are done:
- if you don't use it, you lose it
- applications for trademarks can be rejected for strings that are too
generic or are in common use by others

A discussion of this goes far deeper to the core of what I think is
fundamentally wrong with the way ICANN works, but geonames is one of the
use cases where ICANN's model really shows its weaknesses. IMO there are no
good answers using the current rules, and I guess I might actually prefer
to go full anti-libertarian and say that a geoTLD can't be allocated
without approval of all entities currently using the name.

Now, that's my view -- but it's not IMO one worth fighting for because the
whole allocation regime is a corrupt systematic mess anyway, and any
sensible approach will be gamed to death. As you know I think the whole
global demand for "memorable" domain names is overblown in these days of
apps and QR codes and search engines, so my only real remaining concerns
are in harm (ie, abuse) minimization.

I'll put these views into the survey as best as I can.  As for the
questions that ask "is this scenario likely?", I'm at a loss to answer
because I can't read the minds of those who spend their livelihoods
thinking of ways to stretch boundaries to their limits and beyond.

- Evan