[NA-Discuss] Additional Budget Request

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Dec 12 17:09:01 UTC 2020

Hi Eduardo.

This is an informal outcome of my original comments about domaining, and
last month's NARALO talk that stemmed from them.

I had inferred that it's been easy for other constituencies to demean
At-Large's viewpoint, a "who the hell are you?" attitude which asserts that
the 15 people on ALAC -- and even by extension, the entire RALO/ALS
infrastructure -- does not properly (or adequately) speak for "the
billions" who are impacted by ICANN's decisions. If they don't like our
views, they counter-argue lack of standing and relevance. If they agree
with us, they stay silent.

Since leaving my main volunteer roles in At-Large some years ago, I have
advocated that At-Large really has only two functions at which it can be
effective -- public education and research. Education to make sure that
end-users are aware of what is happening that affects them, and research
that enables ALAC's policy work to accurately reflect global end-user needs
and attitudes rather than just guess.  So far, AFAIR there has been only
one decent global survey by ICANN of this kind, done for the Consumer
Choice and Competition Review Team (which Jonathan chaired). The survey's
questions were mainly written by contracted parties, biased to justify the
TLD expansion rather than address end-user needs. At some point in the
discussion thread started by my recent plea for end-user-centric research,
Jonathan agreed that such a project would be a good idea. (and by
"end-user-centric" I mean independent surveys for which ALAC creates the
questions and has staff support in analysing the resulting data),

It's still a good idea. I'm suggesting that NARALO float the desire to do
such research during the current budget solicitations, and I'm gratified
that Jonathan and you agree. Great point about ISOC co-sponsoring.

I'm fully aware that a survey of trustworthy quality would be expensive --
surely beyond the allocation for all RALO budget requests combined -- but
we have to start somewhere. At least to me, ALAC's credibility as a
reliable channel for the global end-user is at stake. I would be happy to
put my time where my mouth is and get re-involved, should such an idea be
entertained by ICANN.

Cheers,

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56