[NA-Discuss] Thomas Lowenhaupt

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Tue Sep 10 20:09:36 UTC 2019

I will say that, in good time, I will make efforts to ensure Tom's work on
local community benefits of TLDs will be continued. This will be his true
memorial.

Connecting .nyc is a 501(c)3 with UN accreditation. ALong with others, I
will look to elect a new board etc. Expressions of Interest will be well
received.

joly

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 2:30 PM Dana Perry <dperry at csc-ns.ca> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing this Evan.  So sorry to read this news today.
> Always enjoyed Thomas' company and conversation in the past.
>
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:22 PM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello fellow NARALOers
>>
>> As some of you may already know, Thomas -- leader and main activist of
>> the NARALO At-Large Structure "connecting.nyc" -- died last month
>> <http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Thomas-John-Lowenhaupt-107389262>.
>>
>> I only read about it this morning, practically by accident, in an email
>> on the ALAC mailing list discussing Rules of Procedure which used Thomas'
>> death to talk about ALAC's relationships with ALSs.
>>
>> I would prefer that At-Large's written recognition and memory of Thomas
>> be more than such a callous passing remark. There was a moment of silence
>> on the August call but nothing here on the mailing list which is the main
>> news source for those of us who can't easily make the calls.
>>
>> Thomas' ALS was one of the first in NARALO, and he was always deeply
>> involved in its activities. As first Chair of NARALO I found him a pleasure
>> to work with. He was extremely well-read and knowledgeable on his realm of
>> passion and expertise -- the concept that world cities could use Top-Level
>> Domains to empower their citizens and get them more engaged in their
>> community.
>>
>> Tom and I disagreed on a few views, but we agreed on far more regarding
>> the role of the private individual in the growth of the Internet -- exactly
>> ICANN At-Large's reason for being. At all times I found him either a worthy
>> debate opponent or a skilled partner in advocacy, combined with a calm and
>> upbeat tone so rarely found in these corridors.
>>
>> Tom's presence here will be missed.
>>
>> [ Feel free to include this in the next newsletter if you consider it
>> appropriate. ]
>>
>> --
>> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
>> @evanleibovitch or @el56
>> ------
>>
>> Visit the NARALO online at http://www.naralo.org
>> ------
>

> --
>
> *Dana Perry*
>
> Central Region Convenor, Digital Public Relations Lead
>
> Community Sector Council of Nova Scotia
>
> (902) 840-2102
>
> http://csc-ns.ca/
>

> *I would like to acknowledge that we are in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and
> unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This territory is covered by the
> "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" *

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast