[NA-Discuss] Thomas Lowenhaupt

Dana Perry dperry at csc-ns.ca
Tue Sep 10 18:29:54 UTC 2019

Thank you for sharing this Evan.  So sorry to read this news today.  Always
enjoyed Thomas' company and conversation in the past.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:22 PM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Hello fellow NARALOers
>
> As some of you may already know, Thomas -- leader and main activist of the
> NARALO At-Large Structure "connecting.nyc" -- died last month
> <http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Thomas-John-Lowenhaupt-107389262>.
>
> I only read about it this morning, practically by accident, in an email on
> the ALAC mailing list discussing Rules of Procedure which used Thomas'
> death to talk about ALAC's relationships with ALSs.
>
> I would prefer that At-Large's written recognition and memory of Thomas be
> more than such a callous passing remark. There was a moment of silence on
> the August call but nothing here on the mailing list which is the main news
> source for those of us who can't easily make the calls.
>
> Thomas' ALS was one of the first in NARALO, and he was always deeply
> involved in its activities. As first Chair of NARALO I found him a pleasure
> to work with. He was extremely well-read and knowledgeable on his realm of
> passion and expertise -- the concept that world cities could use Top-Level
> Domains to empower their citizens and get them more engaged in their
> community.
>
> Tom and I disagreed on a few views, but we agreed on far more regarding
> the role of the private individual in the growth of the Internet -- exactly
> ICANN At-Large's reason for being. At all times I found him either a worthy
> debate opponent or a skilled partner in advocacy, combined with a calm and
> upbeat tone so rarely found in these corridors.
>
> Tom's presence here will be missed.
>
> [ Feel free to include this in the next newsletter if you consider it
> appropriate. ]
>
> --
> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
> @evanleibovitch or @el56

*Dana Perry*

Central Region Convenor, Digital Public Relations Lead

Community Sector Council of Nova Scotia

(902) 840-2102

http://csc-ns.ca/

*I would like to acknowledge that we are in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and
unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This territory is covered by the
"Treaties of Peace and Friendship" *