[NA-Discuss] Thomas Lowenhaupt

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 10 18:20:59 UTC 2019

Hello fellow NARALOers

As some of you may already know, Thomas -- leader and main activist of the
NARALO At-Large Structure "connecting.nyc" -- died last month
<http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Thomas-John-Lowenhaupt-107389262>.

I only read about it this morning, practically by accident, in an email on
the ALAC mailing list discussing Rules of Procedure which used Thomas'
death to talk about ALAC's relationships with ALSs.

I would prefer that At-Large's written recognition and memory of Thomas be
more than such a callous passing remark. There was a moment of silence on
the August call but nothing here on the mailing list which is the main news
source for those of us who can't easily make the calls.

Thomas' ALS was one of the first in NARALO, and he was always deeply
involved in its activities. As first Chair of NARALO I found him a pleasure
to work with. He was extremely well-read and knowledgeable on his realm of
passion and expertise -- the concept that world cities could use Top-Level
Domains to empower their citizens and get them more engaged in their
community.

Tom and I disagreed on a few views, but we agreed on far more regarding the
role of the private individual in the growth of the Internet -- exactly
ICANN At-Large's reason for being. At all times I found him either a worthy
debate opponent or a skilled partner in advocacy, combined with a calm and
upbeat tone so rarely found in these corridors.

Tom's presence here will be missed.

[ Feel free to include this in the next newsletter if you consider it
appropriate. ]

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56