[NA-Discuss] New Agreement US and Canada replacing NAFTA regarding Domain Names

Glenn McKnight mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:43:01 UTC 2018

Hi All
I was reading today the curated reports from the WTO  by Diplo  on the
issue of  AI

Cut and paste
*Mr Felipe Sandoval* (Senior Advisor, Trade Law and Negotiations, ICTSD)
approached the topic from his experience as a trade negotiator and trade
lawyer. He argued that trade negotiators do not approach the issue from the
technological perspective, as they are not technological experts. The key
concern of trade negotiators relates to questions of data. There are
concerns about the protection of private data, and how to balance it with
the free flow of data. Sandoval argued that these principles are not
necessarily in contradiction, but it is important and possible to find a
balance between them. *He stressed that regional and national policymakers
need to act, but existing treaties give an uneven picture, at times even a
contradictory one, when it comes to the appropriate treatment of private
data. Sandoval pointed out examples, the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement
(USMCA), China, and the EU who all take substantially different approaches.
*This causes issues for the relations between these and other countries
that are part of different treaties. There needs to be a dedicated process
to look at privacy, consumer protection, and the value of free flow of
data. Stronger frameworks on the issue of consumer data need to be
integrated in trade agreements.

source
https://dig.watch/resources/privacy-and-consumer-protection-age-artificial-intelligence

Not exactly sure on how the  USMCA agreement is different

Glenn McKnight
NARALO Secretariat
mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
http://toronto.ieee.ca/