[NA-Discuss] DNS Symposium in Montreal

Glenn McKnight mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:05:08 UTC 2018

ICANN DNS Symposium  Part  One

1. David Conrad opeing  comments at the DNS  Symposium
Providing  history on the 30 years of the formation of the DNS

2. Paul Mockapetris
Inventor of the DNS
pmockapetris at gmail.com
Lessons from History relevant to the future of DNS. Principles and examples
Survival imperatives
-Be Adaptable
-Be powered by an expanding resource
-Create a new desirable resource

-We build systems that  balance  competition and complexity we can handle
Paul stresses the security economics  of  Cost of Defense-Value of the
Target- Cost of the Attack
Also looking at  the 'sacred cows'  and working on changes
-States that  the changes should be stealing from emerging  technologies
Blockchain and from Database technologies
Predications
-DNS  should  hold programs as well as data

2.Jari Arkko  A Look Back at a Look Back Development of BIND
-DNS Eolution
-More  security and efficiency and programmabiity
-Improvement deployment
-Better adoption of new tech
-Security improvements and less local control
Directions for potential Solutions
Stress not to put all eggs in one basket-distribution and collaboration,
Asks for  feedback and concerns to improve security, efficienty and
continued distributed internet model

Pictures of  presenters and slides
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glennmcknight/albums/72157693203985620

Glenn McKnight