[NA-Discuss] State of US unlicensed spectrum

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sat Dec 22 01:04:05 UTC 2018

Oops apologies all for going off topic. My original message was intended
for the ISOC North America Chapters list.

For any one interested in spectrum the NTIA just put out a RFC

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/federal-register-notice/2018/request-comments-developing-sustainable-spectrum-strategy-america-s

joly

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 1:52 PM Michael Casadevall <michael at casadevall.pro>
wrote:

> I'd be interested in being involved in this; I'm a ham radio operator
> and have work with data over radio services (mostly in the 2m/70cm
> bands though), and opening up 6Ghz is interesting since it provides
> very high bandwidth in a small amount of spectrum; 2.4Ghz is something
> of a pea soup of RF, and even 5Ghz is getting that way now. The
> largest problem with microwave bands is they're difficult to use for
> backhauls as they're primarily line of sight but it's not an
> insurmountable problem; I have contacts in the NYC Mesh group that
> could help provide input.
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 1:24 PM Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if we could schedule a webinar on unlicensed spectrum.
> >
> > I saw that the FCC just released the NPRM on 6ghz,  (more) and it seems
> the telcos are diving head and shoulders into CBRS.
> >
> > It would be good to know the implications for community networks.
> >
> > joly
> >
> > --
> >
> > Visit the NARALO online at http://www.naralo.org
> > ------

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast