[NA-Discuss] ARIN Policy on Community Networks

Susannah Gray susannah.gray at gmail.com
Wed May 31 18:16:05 UTC 2017

Hi Marita

On 31/05/2017 05:29, Marita Moll wrote:

> Thanks Glenn. Could you elaborate (or offer a link) on the reference
> to FIRE -- some comnet funding in place for Uganda & South Africa.

- www.fireafrica.org. It's AFRINIC's grant/award program. They fund all
sorts of projects that use the Internet to solve local ICT issues. The
two community network projects mentioned are:

Tobesta (ZA):
https://www.afrinic.net/fr/library/news/1909-fire-awards-winners-2016

Bosco (Uganda): http://fireafrica.org/grant-awards-winners-2016

Thanks,

Susannah

> Marita
>

> On 5/31/2017 4:24 AM, Glenn McKnight wrote:
>> Hi
>> If you recall at the last  ARIN meeting we saw many of our  NARALO
>> members comment on the   ARIN Community Networks policy
>>
>> See policy document
>> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/ARIN_prop_232_orig.html
>>
>> I spoke with ARIN staff about their programs on community networks
>>  today and they too are struggling with fee structure for AFRNIC
>> Membership from community networks. Note they fund  FIRE  which has
>> funded community networks in Uganda and in South Africa.
>>
>> Perhaps  we need to ask our community to request financial support
>> for ARIN for community networks as well.
>> Comments?
>>
>> Glenn McKnight
>> mcknight.glenn at gmail.com <mailto:mcknight.glenn at gmail.com>
>> skype  gmcknight
>> twitter gmcknight
>> 289-830 6259
>> .
>>

>> ------
>> NA-Discuss mailing list
>> NA-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>>
>> Visit the NARALO online athttp://www.naralo.org
>> ------

Susannah Gray
Communications Consultant | Writer | Editor
www.susegray.com
-
President & Chair
San Francisco-Bay Area Internet Society Chapter
www.sfbayisoc.org