[NA-Discuss] Further on the Rules of Procedure

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 31 23:34:58 UTC 2017

I think that we are mixing up two issues here. One is when a person
knows in advance that they will not be able to exercise a vote and
choses to take some action (ie identify a proxy) and the other is the
case where a Rep goes missing in action or otherwise goes not respond/vote.

For the former case, we should have an explicit process to cover a
specific vote or votes or a period of time. Notification to the
Secretariat and the person receiving the proxy should be sufficient.
There should be no restriction placed on who the proxy holder may be
(sometimes it will be another member of the ALS, and sometimes
another person from a different ALS who is attending a F2F meeting).
Perhpas we need a rule that if a formal rep or alternate is not
attending a F2F meeting, but another ALS member is, the proxy goes to
them automatically. Or probably easier just to have a staff
responsibility of checking and getting such a proxy sent once another
traveller is identified.

The ALAC will be requiring a formal representative and at least one
backup (two are being considered). So it makes sense that in the
absence of a proxy, the alternate also could vote. The time at which
the alternate would receive a ballot will need a bit of discussion,
both from the point of view of reasonableness to the regular rep and
based on what staff can do without great upheaval. Once scenario
could be that if the formal rep does not vote by 3 days before the
end of the voting period, the alternate(s) automatically ALSO get a
set of credentials.

Alan