[NA-Discuss] ICANN Complaint System Circumvented

gbruen at knujon.com gbruen at knujon.com
Mon Mar 13 13:18:17 UTC 2017

Dear ALAC Leadership and the greater community,

I am submitting the following memorandum for your consideration:
http://knujon.com/DONT_analysisoficannwdprs.pdf

What you will find in this document is an analysis of the ICANN
complaint system (WDPRS). The analysis uses one criminally-used domain
with false WHOIS as an example to better understand the issues with
ICANN policy and procedure. In short, the ICANN WDPRS has been
effectively circumvented by the owners of this criminal domain. The
domain has had 3 different sets of false WHOIS and simply transferred
their domain each time a complaint was filed. The domain had been
transferred to 4 different registrars and is currently operating selling
narcotics.

In short, the current system has failed in its intent and the criminals
now know how to get around enforcement. The problem is in the contract
and in the compliance procedures.

This is related to the earlier studies I have released to the list. I
will be presenting at the joint session of the Public Safety Working
Group (PSWG) and the Verified TLD (vTLD) constituency on Tuesday 14
March from 18:30 to 19:30 in Hall B4.1. I invite all comments and will
be talking about this in meetings.

Apologies for any cross-posting.

-Garth

--