[NA-Discuss] CALL FOR MEMBERS: At-Large Public Interest Working Group

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:33:26 UTC 2016

1) It's hard to be simultaneously "concise" and "wide open". Maybe that's
just a personal inability to understand.

2) "Issues related to the public interest in the context of ICANN and the
manner in which end users are impacted": To me this is not a working group,
it's THE
​central ​
function of At-Large, ALAC and the RALOs. Why the heck else does this
infrastructure exist? All the outreach and capacity building stuff is just
foundational work designed to serve the above objective. If not we're all
wasting our time.

3) Both of you (Alan and Wolf) have been around the ICANN universe enough
to know that
​simply
 defining "public interest" here is a rhetorical black hole from which it
is difficult to emerge.
​Vested interests insist they are just members of that same public. ​
And some in the GAC believe that it is governments who advance the public
interest
​ within ICANN​
. If the objective of the WG is to produce advice output for the rest of
ICANN rather than just for talking internally, these factors cannot be
ignored.

​4) ​
Such concerns were in play back when Jean Jacques and I originally created
the FCWG. If you look at its charter and what it did
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Priorities+of+Future+Challenges+WG>,
it seems that the objectives are very similar to this new WG (if not stated
the same way).
​ I certainly hope that this WG can follow up on the "R3" white paper
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Future+Challenges+WG+-+R3+White+Paper>
which IMO continues to have relevance in this area and directly addresses
the interface between ICANN, At-Large and the Global Public Interest.​

IMO there is also significant overlap with the the regulatory issues WG
that I believe Holly leads.

- Evan