[NA-Discuss] ICANN Fellowship eligibility

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 10 19:25:09 UTC 2015

There have been a number of recent comments on who is eligible to
apply for the ICANN Fellowship Program and specifically that some US
territories are not eligible. I wanted to make sure that the program
is understood.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/fellowships-2012-02-25-en
describes the Fellowship Program. ICANN does not want to be in a
position for making value judgements on which communities are
disadvantaged. Because ICANN found no single external definition that
it felt addressed the needs of the Fellowship Program, two distinct
external definitions are used.

1. The
<http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/DATASTATISTICS/0,,contentMDK:20421402%7EpagePK:64133150%7EpiPK:64133175%7EtheSitePK:239419,00.html>World
Bank classification as low, lower-middle, and upper-middle economies.

2. The <https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/index.php?menu=1520>UN
Listing of SIDS of the three (3) UN groupings of developing and least
developed nations: the AIMS, Pacific and Caribbean

Someone from a territory listed in ANY of the lists is eligible. Period.

I believe that most of the specific territories identified are in
either the WB lists or the SIDS lists and therefore their residents
ARE eligible for the ICANN Fellowship program. As an example,
American Samoa is a UN Upper-Middle Income territory; and The Marshal
Marshall Islands are in the SIDS Pacific list and the WB list. Their
residents are eligible for the Fellowship Program. Some territories
such as Guam, with a Gross National Per Capita Income greater than
US$12,736 and not in the SIDS list are not eligible.

There is no doubt that there are inequities in that there are often
very disadvantaged communities within otherwise prosperous
territories. And in some cases, the external measurements move
territories in ways that may result in sudden inequities. ICANN is
reviewing all of these issues and hopefully, at least some of them
will be suitably addressed as we move forward.

Alan