[NA-Discuss] In the case of a tie in the election of ALAC member...

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon May 18 23:24:31 UTC 2015

The NARALO Operating Principles call for the NARALO Chair to cast a
vote (a 2nd vote if he/she is a voting representative) in order to
break a tie in a NARALO ALAC Member election
(<http://tinyurl.com/NARALO-OperPrin-Sep2013>http://tinyurl.com/NARALO-OperPrin-Sep2013,
section 13).

Since in this case the Chair is one of the candidates, that would not
be appropriate. I have proposed that in the case of a tie, we use
Section 19 of the Operating Procedures instead, the procedure
designed to break a tie for the Chair or Secretariat. In essence this
would mean the three NARALO ALAC Members break the tie.

Both candidates have agreed to this procedure.

Clearly we need a revision to fix the problem in the future, but that
is not today's task.

Alan (wearing my hat as the NARALO "rules guy" and not ALAC Chair)