[NA-Discuss] ICANN Fellowship and US Terrritories

Glenn McKnight mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:51:37 UTC 2015

Hi Janice

I hope all is well

In the past  under  Garth's leadership we have tried to reach out to the
 US territories for  their  involvement with ICANN.  ie. NARALO
In research we discovered that these  US  terrioritories  live in a limbo
situation with regards to their  political status.  On one hand they are US
 territory but the citizens  do not have  the right to vote.  My concern is
that they according to the  UN  research exist in a situation that  places
them as  US property but they have income similar to least  developed
states

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/index.php?menu=1523

The  list  from  UN Listing of  Small Island Developing Nations

American  Samoa
Federated State of Micronesia
Guam
Marianas
Marshall Islands

These  five locations  have unique  Internet access issues. Among of which
is some of the most expensive  Internet  service  rates.

My understanding is that these  locations  do not qualify for an
application to the ICANN Fellowship program due to their  US  affiliation
despite their  low per capita income,  Is this correct?

Can you please provide us with clarification on this  issue.   What is the
process of rectifying this situation.

Happy to chat about this.  ( not looking for a trip to the islands[?])

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn McKnight
mcknight.glenn at gmail.com