[NA-Discuss] NARALO and BIG IDEAS

Garth Bruen gbruen at knujon.com
Mon Apr 14 18:39:23 UTC 2014

Folks,

Looking forward to hearing you on the call in about 30 minutes. Through our
efforts (with the help of staff and other At-Large regions), NARALO has
managed to bring a number of important agendas to the ICANN table. Among
these have been: (1) the creation of an Accessibility Working Group to
address disabled user issues; (2) the first ever ICANN session on Tor and
Alternate DNS; and (3) global outreach to aboriginal or "First Nations"
communities. We have combined these topical agenda with our successful
recruitment efforts to bring experts and affected communities to make real
change. These programs only happened because NARALO'ers were "Thinking Big."
We've added these to ALAC's growing list of important achievements.

I am encouraging everyone to think BIG and not be worried that any idea is
too far out of bounds. This is why I have been soliciting YOUR ideas and
concerns as part of our London meeting preparation. Some of the ideas
brought forward so far are fantastic and work has already begun. Glenn and I
have been in discussions with Konstantin from ISOC SF about solutions to the
issue of Digital Divide issues - some of which will be presented today.

Another item, I brought up repeatedly in Singapore is the lack of a
comprehensive workspace for the community to conduct all of our work and get
all of our needed information. Judith, Dana and so many others have brought
up their concerns about the confusing array of mailing lists and ineffective
websites. What we need is a global interface for the community that serves
as a true collaborative workflow for At-Large. This is now my agenda.

This will all fit into our ATLAS II work, which will be a big focus for this
call as well.

See you soon, Garth

https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+2014.04.14+Teleconference

Garth Bruen
gbruen at knujon.com
http://www.knujon.com
Chair of ICANN At-Large North America (naralo.org)