[NA-Discuss] Nomcom Selection Offical

Glenn McKnight mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 01:08:28 UTC 2013

 **
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-02sep13-en.htm****
ICANN 2013 Nominating Committee Announces Selections****
2 September 2013****

The 2013 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) has completed its selections
for nine leadership positions within ICANN, listed below for each ICANN
body, in alphabetical order by family name:****
ICANN Board of Directors****

*Cherine Chalaby<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#cherine-chalaby>
*, Africa****

*Bruno Lanvin<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#bruno-lanvin>
*, Europe****

*Erika Mann<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#erika-mann>
*, Europe****
ALAC****

*Rafid Fatani<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#rafid-fatani>
*, Asia/Australia/Pacific Islands****

*Beran Doneh Gillen<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#beran-doneh-gillen>
*, Africa****

*Leon Sanchez<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#leon-sanchez>
*, Latin America/Caribbean Islands****
GNSO Council****

*Daniel Reed<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#daniel-reed>
* (Non-Contracted Party House)****

*Thomas Rickert<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#thomas-rickert>
* (Contracted Party House)****
ccNSO Council****

*Celia Lerman<http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom/bios-02sep13-en.htm#celia-lerman>
* – Latin America/Caribbean Islands****

Those selected will take up their positions after the end of ICANN's Annual
General Meeting, which will take place during the ICANN Public meeting
scheduled for November 17-21, 2013, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.****

The NomCom is charged with recruiting and selecting a portion of ICANN's
leadership. The NomCom is mandated to ensure that overall ICANN's
leadership is diverse in geography, culture, skills, experience, and
perspective. The basic criteria is that selectees are people of integrity,
objectivity and sound judgment, can support decision-making within groups,
can work effectively in English, have an understanding of ICANN's mission
and operation, are committed to its success, experienced in world affairs,
contribute to cultural, professional and geographic expertise, and can work
long and hard as volunteers in the global public trust.****
Balancing Confidentiality with Transparency****

Discussing the 2013 Nominating Committee results, Yrjö Länsipuro, the Chair
of the 2013 NomCom, shared the following:****

I am very happy to report that the 2013 NomCom reached a unanimous decision
about the entire slate of selectees at our meeting in Durban, South Africa,
immediately after the 47th ICANN meeting in that city.****

There were 110 candidates, a record number reached only once before (2003).
This number reflects a growing interest for ICANN leadership positions, and
also the strong outreach efforts by the 2013 NomCom.  I want to thank all
candidates and encourage those whom we could not select this time, to keep
up their interest in ICANN.****

The 2013 NomCom was committed to striking a new balance between the
imperative for confidentiality and protecting the privacy of the
candidates, with the need to ensure that the NomCom processes are up to
ICANN standards of openness and transparency. Accordingly, while
maintaining strict confidentiality of candidate specific information, we
held NomCom meetings in Beijing and Durban that were open to all community
members, both in person and online. We also issued monthly progress report
cards of our work to all constituencies and stakeholder groups represented
on the committee.****

Last but not least, I want to thank all NomCom members, and ICANN staff
supporting the NomCom, for their commitment to a year of very hard work and
carrying it through with persistence, in a cooperative, constructive and
collegial spirit.****
Regional Breakdown****

As noted above, the 2013 NomCom received 110 Statements of Interest from
candidates all over the world (27 female and 83 male), during its open
nomination period from 7 November 2012 to 15 May 2013. The regional
breakdown of this year's candidates is:****

   - 12 from Africa****
   - 29 from Asia/Australia/Pacific****
   - 33 from Europe****