[NA-Discuss] Article on CircleID by Chris Grundermann (ISOC CO ALS)

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon May 27 19:00:02 UTC 2013

On 5/27/13 10:32 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
> ICANN can offer whatever advice it wants, but it shouldn't be
> surprised when the RIRs ignore it.

My memory is that the Board chaired by Vint was not, in general,
ignored by the ASO and its regional constituents. My memory is that
the Board chaired by Peter enjoyed less ... for want of a better word,
affirmative attention by the ASO and its regional constituents, and I
don't yet observe a significant change in the attention given the
current Board lead by Steve.

My point being in two parts -- (1) the responsibility ends with the
act of advising, not the consequences of an act by a fully informed
autonomous actor, and (2) ICANN is not static over time, and changes
with each NomCom and SO/AC selection, e.g., the addition of a seat
selected by the At Large Advisory Committee in December 2010.

> I entirely agree that ARIN and RIPE have some dubious policies, but
> they have their own bottom up multistakeholder blah blah processes
> which is where these fights will happen.

That is where the policy development in each RIR will take place,
agreed. However, it is not the only place were statements on the
advisability of outcomes relating to any public interest may originate.

>                                            For ICANN, which has not
> distinguished itself as a steward of the public interest, to attempt
> to lecture them would be, well, amusing.

At present, it is not simply the Board of ICANN which has this given
lack of distinguishing (in the affirmative sense) record as a steward
of the public interest, but also the At Large Advisory Committee and
its regional constituents.

Again, regards to you and to Michele in Ireland,
Eric