[NA-Discuss] Regional Advice on .HEALTH Objection

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Mar 6 17:01:04 UTC 2013

On 3/6/13 8:26 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> You could ask why this public entity was unable, in the time frame
>> available, unable to make an off-budget quarter-million dollar
>> expenditure and commit to several multiples of additional costs over a
>> several year period, and commit to a incompletely defined contracting
>> process, or you could just make stuff up.
>
> I think it is reasonable to believe that if they were still interested
> in proceeding with their 2000 application, they could free up enough
> staff and budget time to write a letter to ICANN saying so.

There is an alternative to making policy recommendations based upon
what you think is "reasonable".

The WHO expended two staff weeks plus travel, lodging and living
expsenes on the Toronto ICANN general meeting where its staff
attempted to present its case to the GAC.  I attended each of the open
GAC sessions and observed this personally. I know that WHO staff also
communicated their concerns to ICANN staff, and to each of the USG
team present.

Is "a letter" the only thing that can persuade you? If so, why have
you not written Dr. Dzenowagis. I'm looking forward to Garth producing
a letter from Dr. Dzenowagis supporting the truth of his observation
that the policy of the World Health Organization with respect to the
2012 round is in fact "if I can't have it, no one can".

In case I'm not being blunt enough, making stuff up is not how policy
making has to be done, no matter how frequently it is observed.

Eric Brunner-Williams