[NA-Discuss] Regional Advice on .HEALTH Objection

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Mar 6 06:28:23 UTC 2013

On 3/5/13 8:20 PM, gbruen at knujon.com wrote:

> This is very interesting, I am not sure the Review Group was aware of
> all these historical details. Are your saying that the WHO previously
> applied for an paid an underfunded application fee for the .HEALTH
> string?

The WHO applied for .health in the 2000 round. The fee they paid was
what ICANN required at the time. Dr. Dr. Joan Dzenowagis was proposed
as a member of the initial management team.

> I found this document in the ICANN archives:
> http://archive.icann.org/en/tlds/report/health1.html
> and this
> one:http://archive.icann.org/en/tlds/health1/WHO-C-SO-Proposal.htm
>
> Please, clarify. Did ICANN solicit these applications and did they
> request an application fee which was not returned when they were not
> approved? And now ICANN is accepting application fees for the same
> string?

There was an RFP, so yes, there was a solicitation, and a competent
response, consisting of both a complete and sufficient application and
the application fee.

The fees paid by 2000 round applicants were not returned to the
applicants.

As you observe, "[a]nd now ICANN is accepting application fees for the
same string" -- from third parties, and the contention rule in place
is allocation by auction.

So here's the really big issue -- what will be the jurisdictional
contours of transnational epidemiological data in the near future?
What does "medical data" look like, what are the accesses and uses of
medical data arising from 200 distinct territorial jurisdictions? What
resource(s) will public and private medical researchers most need to
provide for the public health that originates from medical data?

Eric