[NA-Discuss] Ramping up for the election - General Procedures

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sat Jun 1 18:51:59 UTC 2013

Alan, Eduardo,

> I will not comment on the specific cases ...

I picked two cases because I presume that each "ALS" has represented
itself as a qualified elector and has cast a ballot of record in an
election (the nuance here being that where "rough consensus" is
allowed there may be no act for which any test of eligibility exists).

I've no idea if the third example has represented itself as a
qualified elector and has cast a ballot of record in a recent election.

> We should bring up this item in the next NARALO conference call (if not before).

I'll write Staff as the original, and enduring due diligence duty
stated in the 2007 MoU at 5 f), lies there. I'm not concerned if, in
the hypothetical "worst case", all current ALSs are decertified, as
the 2007 MoA creates both ALSs memberships and Unaffiliated
memberships, so the RALO will continue to exist, independent of any
certification review outcome or the voluntary surrenders of ALS
memberships. I certainly hope this will not be the outcome, if only
because I would prefer there exist, not just the theory of user groups
organized to answer the conditions of the 2007 MoU, but at least one
example of that in fact.

Whether addressing the question of ALS decertification yields an
outcome from Staff procedure or from RALO procedure. or both,
eligibility to vote in the 2013 elections for the MoA 5 g) roles may
be determined before, or after, the election results are adopted by
the NARALO General Assembly.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon