[NA-Discuss] Ramping up for the election - General Procedures

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 18:06:40 UTC 2013

Alan:

Very good suggestion. We should bring up this item in the next NARALO
conference call (if not before).

-ed

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>wrote:

> At 01/06/2013 01:20 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
> >On 5/31/13 7:49 PM, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> > > Regarding the selection of the unaffiliated rep, the procedures also
> > > cover that, and as one of the final acts as this year's rep, I will
> > > oversee the process.
> > >
> > > As a reminder to anyone who is interested, to be an unaffiliated
> > > member of NARALO, one must submit a Statement of Interest indicating
> > > that he/she meet the following criteria:
> > >
> > > - be subscribed to the NA-Discuss list;
> > > - be a permanent resident of one of the countries/territories in the
> > > North American region as defined by ICANN;
> > > - not be a member of a certified ALS.
> > >
> > > Such an unaffiliated membership continues until or unless one of the
> > > criteria is fails to be satisfied (ie leaves the list, ceases to be a
> > > resident of NA, or is a member of an organization that is or becomes
> > > a NARALO ALS).
> > >
> > > I note that membership in ISOC Canada, which has just become an ALS,
> > > is an example of a reason for losing unaffiliated status.
> >
> >Thank you Alan. This is Rule 17.
> >
> >ISOC Chapters come and go. A former co-worker at CORE has been
> >starting a chapter in Norway, where a chapter existed, became
> >moribund, and finally was dissolved. At Large Structure certifications
> >come and go also.
> >
> >The 2007 MoU establishing NARALO contains this decertification
> >responsibility:
> >
> >5. "Agreed Responsiblities of the NARALO"
> >f) "Providing advice to the ICANN At Large Advisory Committee about
> >the certification and, if necessary, decertification of different ALSs
> >and the use of outreach and communication tool across the region."
> >
> >EURALO has a draft decertification procedure document. LACRALO and
> >AFRALO have published substantive criteria. The NARALO criteria is
> >tied only to "voting", and so capable of being met by a single person
> >representing him or her self as an organization.
> >
> >For instance, the Canadian Association for Open Source appears
> >quiessent, Peter Salus stopped blogging there in 2006, Bill Traynor in
> >2007, Evan Liebovitch in 2008, with only Russell McOrmond continuing
> >to January, 2012. No "recent posts" reflected in its log for the past
> >twelve months, three only in the past twenty four months, six only,
> >and all by the same person, for the past 36 months.
> >
> >I've no idea how this particular structure continues to meet the ALAC
> >certification criteria.
> >
> >Another peculiarity is Knujon, which appears to be two persons, Garth
> >and Robert Bruen, principals of a Massachusetts LLC and a Vermont
> >S-Corp, respectively, with a freemium business model (free reports
> >with a premium enhanced reports) and the interesting claim of
> >"possibly 10,000" of what are described as "unaffiliated or
> >unregistered members", along with "1000" of what are described as
> >"Registered clients".
> >
> >I've no idea how this particular structure ever could have met the
> [...]

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.