[NA-Discuss] Building consensus on dealing with the election tie

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jul 27 19:13:16 UTC 2013

What I seem to be hearing is that there is general support for the
sharing option IF both candidates are comfortable with it. It would
be nice to have a definitive list of tasks with which to manage the
division of labour, but to the best of my knowledge, we do not and
are not likely to in the short period we have to settle this.

So I think we need a private conversation between the two candidates,
either with or without a facilitator of their choice, and a joint
result of either yes or no to the sharing option.

We also need a choice of tie-breaking method in the case of a tie.
The options on the table seem to be either random selection (with a
method that will be viewed by the candidates and hopefully the
electorate as truly random) or by a secret vote of the three ALAC
members, with abstaining not allowed (there would need to be some
variations in this if any of the three slots were not filled or if
any of the ALAC members were candidates.

Clearly the urgency for the latter is dependant on whether agreement
can be reached quickly on sharing.

Am I missing anything important here?

Alan