[NA-Discuss] address allocation, was Google Fiber

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Jan 28 01:34:59 UTC 2013

On 1/27/13 3:25 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

> If IANA tried to tell the RIRs what to do with the returned blocks,
> there wouldn't be any more returned blocks.

Address policy is developed by the RIRs. This is one of the
significant differences between ICANN "names" policy development,
which is without any geographic locus (other than the obvious one in
Marina del Rey), or "global" (with the equally obvious caveats on what
"global" might, or might not mean) and ICANN "address" policy development.

Of all the ICANN bylaws entities I've paid attention to over the life
of the Corporation, the distributed policy development of At Large
regions (in theory) and that of the RIRs, are most similar.

Eric