[NA-Discuss] address allocation, was Google Fiber

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jan 27 23:25:09 UTC 2013

>> ... so it's hard to imagine how ICANN could influence future IPv4
>> allocation even if they unwisely attempted to do so.
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/implementing-ipv4-post-04oct12-en.htm

When I read the code words in there, it's clear that the "policy"
decisions are trivia like how to organize the list of blocks on the IANA
web site, and the real policy is to give the RIRs what they ask for,
perhaps with some minor technical adjustments so that RIRs get blocks
adjacent to ones they already manage, and for which they're already
handling rDNS.

If IANA tried to tell the RIRs what to do with the returned blocks, there
wouldn't be any more returned blocks.

Regards,