[NA-Discuss] address allocation, was Google Fiber

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Feb 10 01:06:52 UTC 2013

On 2/9/13 2:51 PM, Garth Bruen wrote:
> Given the intense discussion on this I have put at the top of the list for
> Monday's call under Any Other Business. If someone wants to talk about it
> specifically, let me know.

I don't think the informed discussion between John and myself, Joly's
institutional conclusion or proposal, Tom's specific question, and
Glenn's initial forward really constitute "intense discussion", except
perhaps, in comparison to other subjects.

However, if there is a possible action item it is to consider whether
the allocation of scarce resources, specifically IPv4 assets, either
those remaining for allocation or those recovered for reallocation or
those tendered for transfer as "assets" or "rights", is, consistent
with the public interest, determined only by the capitalization of
applications for (re)allocation.

To keep it simple, is ICANN's policy, originating in the regional
address registries and the ASO, and upon adoption by the Corporation,
implemented through the ASO and its regional address registries, to
allocate the remaining and recovered IPv4 blocks to the wealthiest
applicants, or does the purpose to which the applicant proposes to
commit the critical and scarce resource determine the allocation?

If the latter, then, at least from any RALO that so finds, proposed
advice to the ALAC, which may fulfill its ByLaws charter and so advise
the Board.

I won't be on the call. Noon my time Monday the 11th is when I take a
child to school.

Eric