[NA-Discuss] Connecting.nyc Inc.- ALS Application 171

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Oct 31 23:15:10 UTC 2012

Tom is not currently an ISOC-NY ALS representative, I am, along with our
President David Solomonoff - dormant as he may be.   However, neither of us
was able to travel to Toronto, so Tom represented us the Chapter at that
meeting, as did Avri who is also a member.

As for the .nyc tld application, Tom actually opposed it - suggesting in
the only public hearing on the Neustar contract that, since the City didn't
have a well thought through plan, and was rushing the process, they should
wait for the second round. See http://isoc-ny.org/p2/?p=3117

I am sure he will have more to add.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> Hi Joly.
>
> It was a delight to welcome Tom to my home -- figuratively and literally.
> I look forward to the participation of connecting.nyc. While Tom and I
> differ on the value of city TLDs, his approach to community involvement in
> Internet growth is to be applauded and encouraged.
>
> While there's nothing wrong with being a member of multiple ALSs, I'm
> pretty sure it would not be kosher to attempt to represent more than one at
> once within NARALO. If it is, it shouldn't be. So I would expect that ISOC
> NY would designate someone else for that role should connecting.NYC be
> accepted and should Tom be its representative. I personally don't think
> this requires that Tom step down from his Board position, just that of
> NARALO represenative.
>
> Having said all that, I would suggest that the talent pool within ISOC-NY
> is fairly deep and there are a number of others who could step in to
> represent them.
>
> - Evan
>

> On 31 October 2012 16:54, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
>
>> As most will be familiar Connecting.NYC founder Tom Lowenhaupt has long
>> campaigned for the .nyc TLD, and other city TLDs, to be used for community
>> rather than commercial purposes.
>>
>> He has regularly held public meetings in the city to promote this idea.
>>
>> He has,since 2010, been a board member of ISOC-NY - an existing ALS - .and
>> did travel to Toronto on our behalf. Whether this creates a conflict I
>> leave up to others to ascertain, but I am sure he would be prepared to
>> step
>> down from his ISOC-NY post if required.
>>
>> joly
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM, ICANN At-Large Staff <
>> staff at atlarge.icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > This is to inform you that we received an ALS application from
>> > Connecting.nyc Inc. It is based in New York, USA. and would be a member
>> of
>> > NARALO  if accepted.
>> >
>> > Please find the application form attached. We will provide the due
>> > diligence
>> > for this application in due course.
>> >

>> > Kind regards,
>> >

>> > Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber-White, Matt Ashtiani,
>> > Nathalie
>> > Peregrine
>> >
>> > ICANN Policy Staff in support of ALAC
>> >
>> > E-mail:  <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org> staff at atlarge.icann.org
>> >

>> > ------
>> > NA-Discuss mailing list
>> > NA-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
>> >
>> > Visit the NARALO online at http://www.naralo.org
>> > ------
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Visit the NARALO online at http://www.naralo.org
>> ------
>>

> --
> Evan Leibovitch
> Toronto Canada
>
> Em: evan at telly dot org
> Sk: evanleibovitch
> [...]

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com