[NA-Discuss] Prague - Regional Secretariats meeting Agenda- Kindly review

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Wed May 23 20:08:04 UTC 2012

I totally agree with EVERYTHING Beau just said.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
dthompson at gov.nu.ca
From: Beau Brendler [beaubrendler at earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:25 PM
To: Silvia Vivanco; Thompson, Darlene; Wolf Ludwig; Oksana Prykhodko (sana.pryhod at gmail.com); Charles Mok (gmail); Pavan Budhrani; Fouad Bajwa; Holly Raiche; sylvia at internautabrasil.org; José Francisco Arce; Fatimata Seye Sylla <fsylla at gmail.com> (fsylla at gmail.com); Tijani BEN JEMAA
Cc: ICANN At-Large Staff; na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: RE: Prague - Regional Secretariats meeting Agenda- Kindly review

I have a couple of questions/observations -- my apologies for not attending the conference call and making them there.

1. What is the status of the NARALO budget request for the Toronto meeting? As chairman of the region, I would like to be made aware of this (apologies if I have missed the note) before I agree to discuss the possibility of spending $90K on an IGF meeting in Azerbaijan. As of today, I am told NARALO has been directed to approach CIRA for a $1,000 handout to hold a small outreach event in Toronto. That leads me to believe that the NARALO budget request for Toronto has been denied. Is this the case?

In my opinion, the at-large community should be funding outreach at its own events, or planning another at-large summit, rather than spending a sizable amount of money attending a meeting among a group that have been, traditionally, somewhat hostile to the at-large. Could the interested participants be compelled to write papers to be presented at the IGF on major, serious policy issues affecting end-users, such as the URS problem, WHOIS, questions raised by the execution of the new gTLD program or some other such topic? Are there going to be performance metrics attached? What kinds of outreach will be done in Azerbaijan? What audiences will we be attempting to reach at IGF that are not already integrally woven into the ICANN community? Is there any grant-funding available?

Indeed, I understand we are talking about two different budget cycles. But I don't see how we can justify spending $90K for APRALO and AFRALO to attend an IGF meeting with other more convenient opportunities for outreach going unfunded.

2. Again, the non-performing ALS topic leads the agenda. Why? Can the remaining issues on this topic be solved by an internal, small group? Why do we have to spend valuable time in Prague discussing this topic again?