[NA-Discuss] .nyc contract hearing friday 3/23 in Brooklyn

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Mar 22 20:45:38 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 15:10, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> A public hearing on NYC's allocation of the .nyc contract to
> Neustar will be held tomorrow, Friday, in Brooklyn.

Looks like all of Thomas Lowenhaupt's multiple years of hard work
advocating for a community-focused .nyc TLD for may turn out to have been
blazing a rugged, obstacle-clearing trail through which Neustar may now
drive its HumVee.

Thomas, I feel for ya. I was a vocal skeptic of your proposal but am even
more critical of a direct government-Neustar registry (both in process and
likely substance). I didn't expect that your project would seek out
defensive domains but I can feel fairly confident that a pure generic play
would consider defencives as part of their revenue mix.

Personally, I've delighted that so few geoTLD proposals have come from
North America. I expect .québec for historical reasons (much conceptually
in common with .cat), and I consider the current plays for .nyc and .vegas
to be almost defensive TLDs themselves, given those cities' own branding
efforts.. The other two listed at http://www.citytld.com/ (for Ottawa and
San Francisco) appear dead

Most of the others are proposed for Europe. What a massive waste of money
and time. I feel truly sorry for all the small businesses that will be
compelled to register defensively for those that roll out.

Maybe there are so few North American ones because people here already see
what a bust ".us" is and figure that almost all the incumbents are Amercian
anyway. But I'll appreciate the sanity wherever I can find it.

- Evan