[NA-Discuss] NCUC meeting/Toronto/digital archery

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Tue Jun 19 18:54:39 UTC 2012

I agree with Evan and I would certainly support a meeting with NCUC to discuss this matter if there is any kind of action that can be taken.  Like Evan, I find hand-wringing and complaining to be a waste of my valuable time.  If it is a strategy meeting with actions to move forward, then I'm all for it.

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson at gov.nu.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [mailto:na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Evan Leibovitch
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:23 PM
To: Beau Brendler
Cc: na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] NCUC meeting/Toronto/digital archery

I warmly extend greetings from the ALAC liaison to the NCSG (ie, me).

There is a formal ALAC/NCSG meeting on Monday.

One, the NCUC is considering the fairness of digital archery as an issue.
> From what I heard on yesterday's NARALO call, we don't consider it a
> public-interest issue (which, as you know, I disagree with, in other
> words, I agree with the NCUC.

There is a difference between agreement in sentiment and agreement in tactics.

I don't know of ANYONE who disagrees with the sentiment "digital archery is dumb, and in practical use no better than a lottery than choosing order of processing". The issue is what to do about it.

The Board has already indicated that it is continuing with DA but may in fact (and in response to community reaction) toss the results and try something different. In fact, I've already suggested two alternative methods, though one of them may attract gaming attempts<http://diggy.wordpress.com/2007/03/07/how-to-win-a-jellybean-counting-contest/>
.

What wasn't resolved in NARALO, though was:
- how the prioritization of various applications -- let alone its method -- was a matter of public interest
- what At-Large should be doing and is able to do (beyond call attention to the reputation botch)

Having a dicussion with the NCUC so we can agree about how awfully ICANN botched DA may relieve stress, but doesn't in itself offer any constructive recommendations going forward. We can stress the need to look at the only two existing categories of applicants -- IDNs and community -- as deserving of priority in any new batching system. But unless we have something new or novel to add, we'd just be adding to the existing cacophony of protest.

Now... do you have a plan to come out of such discussion with a specific action item? If so I'm certainly open to change my mind. There is some flexibility in the NCSG/ALAC agenda, but I myself an averse to simple joint complaint sessions without an end game.

Two, the NCUC is planning for Toronto.

There is certainly an opportunity for joint outreach here.

And: Can we get with them on Toronto and possibly plan something together?
> We did do some joint event planning in San Francisco, which resulted
> in the well-attended Internet Town Hall.

While attendance was good, I don't consider the Town Hall to have been very effective in actually creating any go-forward policy strategy useful for ICANN. Lost of aired grievances and collective hand wringing, zero action items resulting. There was debating on which speakers had more credibility than others when discussing Internet access blocking in Africa. And most of it was about issues far outside ICANN's realm. So if the target is doing another meeting like what happened in SF, I'm personally not interested and would not attend. We're not IGF.

> Just a thought -- strength in numbers.

Collecting the numbers, and then not doing anything with the result, provided a sense of frustration and wasted opportunity that I'd say in hindsight to have been worse than never having been teased at all.

- Evan
------
NA-Discuss mailing list
NA-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org