[NA-Discuss] "Chicken and Egg" Problem

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:25:33 UTC 2012

Wow! This is very interesting. Why somebody will pay ICANN $436k for a no
return on investment?

-ed

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Garth Bruen at Knujon.com <
gbruen at knujon.com> wrote:

> (Apologies for list cross-posts)
>
> Folks,
>
> Recent discussions with ICANN compliance have revealed what appears to be a
> new standard (or perhaps it was always the standard) for triggering
> Registrar contract obligations. According to compliance, certain contract
> obligations (like posting of policies, terms, pricing and WHOIS) cannot be
> enforced until the Registrar actually sponsors domain names.
>
> This came up because several new Registrars did not appear to have these
> basic components on their websites (some had no website at all). Compliance
> stated the obligations could not be enforced because the Registrars in
> question had no domains yet.
>
> In my view this presents a number of problems. The first is that Registrars
> should demonstrate their ability and willingness to provide required
> services before sponsoring domain names. The second is that it would seem a
> Registrar could be non-transparent to their first customer, hence
> "chicken-and-egg."  Signing of the contract should the trigger these
> requirements not the presence of domain names.
>
> One additional problem is a little more complex. A Registrar called
> Nameescape.com LLC has no operational website, this has been the case for
> several years and possibly since they were accredited. This Registrar is a
> Moniker shell company, who already has 109 superfluous accreditations. At
> one point the cartels would at least attempt to appear independent, now it
> seems there is no long even a pretense and accreditations can simply become
> "placeholders." This isn't a simple problem since these additional
> accreditations allow Moniker to add $436,000 to ICANN's coffers each year,
> and now it appears they don't have to pretend to actually want to sell
> domain names. It's something to think about as we continue to discuss COI.
>
> Thanks, Garth
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Garth Bruen
> gbruen at knujon.com
>
> 617-947-3805
> http://www.knujon.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/149/724
> The Death of the Internet: How It May Happen and How It Can Be Stopped,
> ISBN:1118062418
> Linkedin Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1870205
> Blog: http://www.circleid.com/members/3296/
> Twitter: @Knujon

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
you have received this communication by error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail, and delete the original message.