[NA-Discuss] Convening the NA-RALO Puerto Rico ccTLD .PR "task force"

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:58:52 UTC 2011

Cheryl:

Just to let you know that Ms. Suzanne Sene, US rep to the GAC, knows about
the .pr ccTLD issue for sometime now.  I do not see her in the FOI WG member
list.

We (the Internet Society of Puerto Rico) brought to the attention of Ms.
Sene and Vermita Harris (IANA's contract manager) in May 2010 the fact that
IANA allowed the redelegation of the .pr ccTLD without the University
approval. At the time we could not find any procedures to complain  to IANA
about its redelegation decision.  Ms. Sene indicated that she was going to
investigate the matter with ICANN lawyers. We did not follow-up this matter
with her after that conversation and evidently nothing happen until recently
that the University sued the ccTLD manager.

I am attaching a letter sent by UPR to Mr. John Jefrey (ICANN General
Counsel) dated June 8,  2008 as evidence that University Officials were not
informed of the redelegation.

So, I believe that the FOI WG should look at the .pr ccTLD case closely for
it can help the FOI WG to come out with ideas on how to avoid similar
situations in the future and maybe help to put in place a procedure to
handle any complaint regarding any redelegation.

By the way, can you enlighten me as to what it means "a framework of
interpretation" withing the ICANN context? Is this part of the PDP process?

Gracias.

-ed