[NA-Discuss] Fwd: "Domain Protection Racket" Promotion onNetwork Solutions Home Page

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Thu Sep 1 16:33:52 UTC 2011

On 1 Sep 2011, at 17:19, Garth Bruen at Knujon.com wrote:

> "Coffee" is not a trademark

I never said it was. The term "apple" is also a trademark, while still being a fruit ..

If you actually look at what is and isn't registered as a trademark you'll find that a very large number of words are

My own first name is a registered trademark (though not to me)

Lots of words that people use in common day parlance are protected or were at some point (for examples see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks )

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that your example brought back trademark related results, as you had entered a particular term.

You could have entered any other term and you would have got back results that were related to your chosen input

So unless you are suggesting that registrars are telling people to search for trademarks then I honestly don't see what you talking about.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions ♞