[NA-Discuss] Length of At-Large Comment Periods

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue May 31 22:34:53 UTC 2011

I am a bit amazed at the direction and tone of some of the replies to
Danny's note. Danny's point is well taken and as noted, not a
particular surprise to many of us, not that the fore-knowledge makes
it any more acceptable.

John homed in on one of the main issues when he said "I expect that
in most cases, the underlying problem is that whoever was preparing
the document was just as disorganized as we are, they ran late, and
they're trying to make it up by cutting the comment period short."

But let's look at the list in more detail.

Items 4, 5 and 8 have little to do with the rest of ICANN in that the
statements were driven by an internal At-Large initiative to make
them. Only the JAS one (item 5) was related to dates controlled by
others, and it was known to us AGES ago that we would be on a tight
schedule on this one.

For the others, here is Danny's list with the formal OPENING dates
for comments added. In most cases, we knew that this was coming and
could have started before the opening date (as Evan has correctly
pointed out).

1.  Call for Comments:  ALAC Statement on the Public Call by the
Stability, Security and Resilience of the DNS Review Team
Announced 01 April
Deadline  03 April
OPEN:     21 February (39 days before ALAC comment announced)

2.  Call for Comments:  ALAC Statement on the Proposed Framework for
the FY12 Operating Plan and Budget
Announced 04 April
Deadline  04 April
OPEN:     18 February (45 days before ALAC comment announced)

3.  Call for Comments:  ALAC Statement on the Post-Expiration Domain
Name Recovery Working Group Proposed Final Report
Announced 20 April
Deadline  22 April
OPEN:     21 February (58 days before ALAC comment announced)

6.  Call for Comments:  ALAC Statement on the Proposal for Renewal of
the .NET Registry Agreement
Announced 11 May
Deadline  15 May
OPEN:     11 April (30 days before ALAC comment announced)

7.  Call for Comments:  ALAC Statement on Academia Representation on NomCom
Announced 20 May
Deadline  25 May
OPEN:     30 April (20 days before ALAC comment announced)

As the author, co-author or instigator for some of the 8 messages, I
take my share of the blame for not getting the work done in a more
timely manner. Often, even when we do start work earlier in the
cycle, there is little input into the process, which does not help
the statement author(s) come up with something representative.

I am all for laying blame on other parts of ICANN and on Staff when
it is deserved, and often it indeed is. But let's first make sure
that we are not ourselves responsible for at least just part of the
poor end-result that Danny raised.

Alan