[NA-Discuss] Requirements for NARALO individual membership and related motion (Beau, 10 min)

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun May 8 15:57:56 UTC 2011

I think the fundamental issue is ensuring that self-interest does not
capture or reduce the efficacy of the public interest.

The group model ensures that most contracted party affiliated
individuals will, should they advocate for any interest, private or
public, engage through the local group.

Hypothetically, this could result in a "Reston" group in which the
interests of two registry operators was determinant, and similar
results where other contracted parties have enough individual
employees and their dependents to influence policy advocacy. However,
in the scope and structure of the NARALO such capture of the process
would be damped, if not drowned out, by the vastly larger number of
groups with no material interest in contracted party self interest.

So, at the general membership level, diversity and vitality are the
defenses to public interest capture or reduction of efficacy. Should
either the diversity or vitality of the NARALO be significantly
reduced, these defenses against private interest capture may also be
reduced.

For the elected officers of the NARALO, in particular the Unaffiliated
Member Representative, an office I currently hold, some eligibility
criteria is reasonable, e.g., continuous availability and engagement,
and not being an employee or shareholder of a contracted party seems
prudent and non-excessive.

Eric