[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Mar 31 19:07:18 UTC 2011

On 3/31/11 1:52 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:
> Thanks for those kind words
>
> Where we differ is the effect on an applicant of being deferred to the second round due to any  'limitation' mechanism (this would probably be a one or two year delay - i.e. a 2013 application).
>
> You don't see this as a major problem for deferred applicants, whereas I think it would be very harmful to some applicants (and their prospective users).

The City of Paris entered into a process to select a registry operator
in 2007. The City of New York did so in 2009.

These two applicants have been waiting for ICANN to accept
applications, for for its own reasons ICANN has refused to accept
applications from each, arguing that it, ICANN, had some policy
development, unrelated to either application, to resolve as a
precondition to accepting either application.

At some point, perhaps in 2011, in this one-of-two hypothetical to
explore the claim of harm, one of these two application is accepted by
ICANN, and in 2013 the other of these two application is accepted by
ICANN.

Assume Paris before New York (unless you find a good reason to
entertain New York before Paris), and describe the harm to New York
(or Paris), resulting from this delay.

I hope this isn't necessary, but under the GAC model, the status of
Paris as the capital of a territory with a code point in ISO 3166, and
the lack of that status for New York, is not relevant, as the GAC
model proposes, inter alia, to do more than just establish and resolve
contention sets. So both .paris and .nyc are to be allocated
unconditionally to the applications brought by the municipal
authorities of Paris and New York City, respectively. I just wanted to
eliminate this as a possible rational for harm, as I believe you're
making a much broader delay-equals-harm claim.

Eric