[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Tue Mar 29 22:52:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

One of the fundamental points about the ALAC position, and one can assume the At-Large position, is that they do not mind a delay in the start of the new gTLD program.  In fact they* have specifically declared that they favor delaying the program until the issues are fixed.  I expect the agree with the GAC on this issue.

This has been one of the biggest difference in the difference between the NCSG and ALAC.  Additionally there is a difference between the NCUC/NCSG and ALAC on the Trademark issues, though NPOC (the candidate constituency) would probably agree with ALAC on this set of issues.

The NCSG has not specifically taken a position on categories to my knowledge, but I believe would come out against them primarily because they would delay things.    Some of us, myself included, think that categories are an emerging property that we will be able understand after the round and one that can be applied for future rounds.  but for now it is only a muddle.

a.

* I say they, but i am actually a member of several ALS's and thus part of the 'they'.  As far as I can tell, decision making doesn't come as low as that in the in the At-large organization - though we do have democratically elected representatives (i don't consider myself as having any decision making in the US gov't either even though I get to vote for  representatives there too.)