[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Richard Tindal richardtindal at me.com
Sat Mar 26 17:49:36 UTC 2011

Hi Olivier,

With respect to Operational Readiness (item 19. in report) ICANN plans to accept and review applications in batches
and enter strings into the root over a 9 to 18 month period.  Resources have been planned and will be allocated
based on a batch size not exceeding 500 applications.

The draft ALAC report recommends "a more staggered approach, with a steady timetable of approvals and delegations."
If I understand it correctly this recommendation is not made for technical reasons -- but rather comes from concerns about
ICANN's processing ability, and concerns that consumers might be confused by too many TLDs.

I disagree with the rationale for this recommendation as I think ICANN's planning documents show adequate preparation for
500 applications.  Also, I don't think diverse choice will confuse most consumers.  I think the primary basis for the Internet's success
has been its rapid growth in many directions.

Also,  I am very concerned that this recommendation cannot be implemented in a fair way.  In various 'Summary and Analysis of
Public Comments' ICANN staff have pointed out that limiting a round may put ICANN in the position of choosing winners and losers
(which they are not qualified to do) and that any limitation method will tend to favor better resourced and/ or politically connected applicants.

At this late stage of AG finalization I think any ALAC recommendation to limit the first round needs to come with practical suggestions for
how this could be done.  The staff have said that limiting is not implementable in a fair way.  If the ALAC believes it can be done fairly I
think these  ideas need to be put in the report.   Specifically, has the ALAC discussed the right size (in terms of number of apps) for this first
round?  What sort of limit do you have in mind and what is the basis for that number?   Assuming there are more potential applicants than the number
chosen, how will ICANN decide which applicants proceed and which do not?       This last question is crucial.    If the ALAC report does not provide
guidance to staff/Board on how to chose the winners,  the report will simply re-ask them to do something they have already said is unimplementable.

Regards

Richard