[NA-Discuss] Edits and comments to NARALO/ ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 04:21:30 UTC 2011

Richard has asked, "With such limited input does this report truly represent the ALAC's position?"

I find myself asking the very same question.

Sadly, I have not noticed any discussion of the GAC Scorecard on the ALAC Discussion list, and I have to wonder if perhaps 2/3 of the ALAC hasn't even seen the document currently under discussion.

I would venture that if the ALAC is unable to have these Scorecard matters properly discussed in a transparent fashion on their own mailing list, then perhaps the ALAC should take a pass on offering any advice at this time before it totally destroys whatever remains of its limited credibility.

There are several parts of the draft statement that I find troubling, but for the sake of expediency, let me just point to the very first issue to catch my attention -- the topic of TLD blocking.

I am not aware of a public record of any ALAC discussion on this matter, yet a viewpoint is being put forth that purports to speak for all of us.  So, I have to ask, is this the ALAC's formal position and if so where is it documented, or is it merely Evan's position?

Some of us are rightfully worried about the possibility of collateral damage associated with widescale blocking activities.  The GAC prudently called for studies on the topic and the SSAC has already agreed to form a working group to develop a more thorough report on the implications of blocking.

The prudent course of action would have been for the ALAC to reserve judgment until such time as the SSAC arrives at its conclusions on blocking; instead, as I see it, the ALAC appears poised to issue an opinion without the benefit of either a wide-ranging discussion or a set of researched facts at its disposal.

The limited input is a real concern, and it serves to taint whatever advice the ALAC will ultimately tender.