[NA-Discuss] Statement on Pre-Registration: Draft for discussion

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jun 16 05:14:43 UTC 2011

> I'm told there are a good number of good things about the .cat TLD. And I
> believe judgment on its success should be on the positive impact it has on
> the Catalonian community, not number of sales. I'd love to know more about
> the impact it is having.  If 1,000 domain names were carefully developed and
> it created an improved culture and economy, I'd judge it huge success.

That's a lot of if's.  Don't you think it would have been a good idea to
do some research before rushing off to promote your vanity TLD?

As far as I can tell, people in Catalonia think that .CAT is swell, but
its effect is minimal.  When I was in Barcelona for MAAWG last year, I saw
a mix of .cat, .es, and .com domains in signs and ads.

R's,
John