[NA-Discuss] Statement on Pre-Registration: Draft for discussion

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jun 16 05:10:59 UTC 2011

Hi Eric,

On 15 June 2011 19:34, <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> If .nyc is "a bad idea (tm)", what kind of an idea is .quebec?

As an English Canadian I'm wading into dangerous waters with that specific
example but...

IMO,
.québec to represent a geographical area makes no more sense than .nyc
.québec to represent a distinct culture without finite geographical bounds
but with unique symbols, language, character, and diaspora, shares more in
common with .cat than .nyc and might have a shot at success.

It would not surprise me to find out that English-language content under
.québec would be discouraged. (I already note that there no English-language
content exists at
http://www.pointquebec.org/<http://www.pointquebec.org/en/who>
)

OTOH, some residents in the geo-political area now known as the province of
Québec -- notably northern aboriginal communities -- have previously
disassociated themselves from this identity.

In other words, I'd say that that particular issue was ... complex. But I
would remain consistent in the opinion that using .québec mainly as a
geographical TLD is pointless, but to serve a cultural *may* have promise.

(It also helps that .québec is an IDN)

- Evan