[NA-Discuss] Pre-registrations, next week's call, other issues

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 13:29:49 UTC 2011

Greetings.

1. I am assuming everyone saw the note yesterday about Marc Rotenberg's resignation from his nom com slot on ALAC. I think this is a big loss to us and to the effort of improving relations with the NCSG/UC but we all know what it's like not to have enough time for this work.

2. I see some consensus over the past week on the possibility of sending a brief statement to ICANN on the pre-registration matter that, in effect, suggests it take a similar action to what was done a few years back, i.e., a sort of "consumer alert" (though the intended audience really would be businesses and entities interested in gTLDs). If so I will attempt to draft something brief over the next 24 hours and send it to the list for a quick round of feedback. If someone else would rather do that, let me know.

3. I believe there is a NA-RALO call scheduled for early next week. I will only be available to do that early Monday EST (say during the 9 a.m. to 12 noon slot), but not again until Thursday, as I will be in transit to Singapore. Please let me know what you would like to do -- reschedule call, cancel, etc.

4. Don't forget that it would be very helpful for us attending the Singapore meeting to have some input from all of you on policy issues. I have collected what has been said so far (some of it ranging to issues outside policy development, such as recruitment), but there's certainly room for more requests/input.

5. I was not able to attend the recent call to discuss the budget. I believe we have had a chance to review the document -- NA-RALO got basically $5K to do a survey/study and another $1K to produce a recruitment video for YouTube and other venues -- all the other requests were turned down. We can communicate some more about whether it would be a good idea to try to convene an NARALO general assembly at the Toronto meeting, as there should be some travel funds to spare -- a number of us are within cheap travel distance from there.

More when I have a chance...

Beau