[NA-Discuss] Does ICANN need to evolve its code of conduct?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Jul 29 18:59:15 UTC 2011

Hi Eric,

On 29 July 2011 12:17, <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> Colleagues, with appologies in advance for the length.
>
> [..]
>
> I suggest that members of NARALO, particularly those who view ICANN in
> part through the framework of US law, reach out to those in the NARALO
> who may not come easily to this framework, and offer their comments
> on the necessity of viewing this transition solely as a code of conduct
> issue, and the utility of overlooking the benefit to the incumbent
> monopoly operator.

As one of those who does not see ICANN easily through the framework of US
law and, I guess, needs to be educated on the benefits of this approach, I'm
quite confused by your narrative.

After a lengthy, well-written and detailed account of how ICANN actions have
benefited various parties without curtailing monopoly power and thus harming
the public good... you conclude by a curt advocacy to "overlook" this.

Please elaborate. I might be especially dense this weekend but I don't
understand the public-interest benefit of ignoring the increase in monopoly
capture.

- Evan