[NA-Discuss] Fwd: The Internet Society on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Jan 31 14:36:54 UTC 2011

Continuing ...

>  - Recognize ICANN's limited authority on policy matters

Much as I personally like Manal Ismail it is difficult to imagine her
being an effective spokesperson for the GAC, at Brussels, San
Francisco or Amman.

As Andrew McLaughlin pointed out in his open letter to Dr. Tarek
Kamel, he too faces a limited range of choices as an accepted figure
of merit or authority.

It may be prudent for ICANN to forgo the assistance of the
representatives of the Egyptian government at present, and for some
time to come. Of course, it may also be prudent for Egypt to find that
its representatives are otherwise engaged and need not be the focus of
public comment critical of administrative induced network failure.

Next, is the intentional failure of the .eg registry consistent with
the purposes and positions of record of the ccNSO? I have a hard time
imagining Chris Despain making the case that the principle of
subsidiarity means that ccTLDs can be turned on and off at the whim of
national governments.

Applications for new gTLDs that propose to site, primarily or
secondarily, in Egypt, have already been harmed by the need to find
alternate primary or secondary siting, at some additional cost or
complexity. When the interests of the registrants, rather than the
interests of the registries, is considered, it may be prudent to
reject all new gTLD applications which propose to site within the
territorial jurisdiction of Egypt, or use any four of the five
principle network operators subject to administrative induced failure
on January 22nd.

In general, I find the "ICANN is powerless" claim to be non persuasive.

Eric