[NA-Discuss] Unrest continues to be met with Internet lockdown

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Wed Feb 16 19:40:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

A reminder this is not  (just) about domain names.

It is about IP addresses and AS numbers ad the fact that sections of the Internet where made inaccessible.  Not just that the domain names could not be translated to IP addresses, but the addresses and the autonomous routing systems by which they were served were removed from the Internet.

That is very much more serious that just a failure in name to IP address translation, and this is also within ALAC purview as the global reachability of all distributed addresses and AS numbers is ICANN responsibility.

One does not have to stretch at all for ICANN relevancy.

a.