[NA-Discuss] Fwd: The Internet Society on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

gbruen at knujon.com gbruen at knujon.com
Tue Feb 1 03:56:49 UTC 2011

Two articles on CNN explain why the Egyptian "kill switch" has actually
failed

This one shows that the protests continue to grow without Internet access:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/01/31/egypt.internet/index.html?hpt=T1

This one shows that the use of social media was critical leading up to the
shutdown and by then it was too late:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/27/egypt.protests.social.media/index.html

Like I said previously, this extreme action is an admission a government has
lost control. However, this may occur again in the near future especially if
Egypt's government steps down(as seems to be the case) in some neighboring
countries.