[NA-Discuss] FTC letter on new gTLDs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Dec 19 19:58:17 UTC 2011

On 19 December 2011 14:36, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why is that a US FTC Commission must be listened to?
> Responded to, yes, but listened to, as in obey?  Why?

I think ALAC knows painfully well the gulf between "listened to" and
"heeded" :-P

What the FTC, and the IGO letters, and ANA noise, and the EC statements
before them are indicating is that there is a really big mass of groups who
don't believe that the MSM model fully included them as stakeholders.

I can easily self-induce a headache just trying to determine what GNSO
constituency would be appropriate for UNESCO or the International Labour
Organization. Given that the US Olympic Committee was just denied
membership in the NCSG because of its "perspective", it's increasingly easy
to make the case that the MSM works fine for insiders but excludes massive
swaths of the Real World.

So the insiders say "the MSM works fine", conveniently forgetting to add
the requisite "for us"....

.... the "us" being the compact between domain sellers and domain buyers,
with everyone else left on the sidelines. And even the governments of the
world have to engage in brinksmanship just to get "listened to".

- Evan